ENDO MotoSport Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENDO MotoSport Forums

Our buisness is anything and everything Motosports!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CRF450 fuel anomaly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Denny
Admin
Admin
Chris Denny

CRF450 fuel anomaly Empty
PostSubject: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Just the other day I was reading the newest Motocross mag, and stumbled across an article about the fuel injected CRF450's crank case oil (not the transmission) filling up with gas so bad that they would leak from the filler cap. When MXA questioned Honda’s engineers they said "change your oil after every ride, and don't snap the throttle at idle". ??? Are you serious? I’d be pissed if I had this issue and it was on-going! Apparently people have had this problem when their bike sat for more then ten hours or so. I don't see how that’s possible if these people had your fuel turned off, but on or off it shouldn't be that bad.
Has anyone here had this problem or know of someone that does? If so how do you/them deal with it and or fix it?
Back to top Go down
RMZ*roost
RMZ*roost

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:47 pm

WOW! Never heard of that, but that's pretty f-ed up. I don't know about the whole C-case filling up after sitting for 10hrs though. That's kinda rediculis don't you think? I could see how some fuel could slip past the rings, and kinda add up over time, but at that point you probably should change your oil anyways.

Just another reason to buy a Suzuki eh? Cool
Back to top Go down
Chris Denny
Admin
Admin
Chris Denny

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 3:37 pm

^+1^ with the Zook statement. Haha

According to the article from MXA they got bombarded with letters from irate CRF450 owners about severe crank case fuel floods. It wasn't just on or two pissed rider’s exaggerating their issues to get extra attention. They had to bring the issue up to Honda twice to finally get the piss-poor replies they did get. The first time Honda basically told them they were full of shit.

I have a hard time believing the whole flood thing to, but I don't own one so I can't rule it out myself. I guess something like this it's to be expected though. FI is still pretty new (kinda) and nothing goes perfect when making such dramatic changes. Remember when EFI first came out in cars???? It was a mess!
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Phoenix

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm with RMZ*roost on this one. Denny you have a point, but some of those people have to be exaggerating. I don't own one either, but how can that happen while sitting with the gas off?

James105 is a pretty smart guy.... where the hell is he? Shed some light on us Vern albino
Back to top Go down
Tmeyer37

PostSubject: CRF   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Thats weird because im pretty sure with the fuel injection there is a fuel pump of some sort involved. correct me if im wrong. Ive heard of this happening at my shop with cheaply made bikes like Hyosungs but not a honda. Thats scary because you run the major potential of blowing seals out. Also kind of wierd because im a service writer at Northbay motorsport the Honda dealership in Santa rosa and I havent heard of this happening to anyone yet.
Back to top Go down
Chris Denny
Admin
Admin
Chris Denny

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:24 am

Tmeyer37 wrote:
Thats weird because im pretty sure with the fuel injection there is a fuel pump of some sort involved. correct me if im wrong. Ive heard of this happening at my shop with cheaply made bikes like Hyosungs but not a honda. Thats scary because you run the major potential of blowing seals out. Also kind of wierd because im a service writer at Northbay motorsport the Honda dealership in Santa rosa and I havent heard of this happening to anyone yet.

If you get a chance you should check out the september issue of Motocross Action Magazine (silver cover), it's on page 36. Kind of a shocker. They go a little more in to detail, and it seems makes sence.

Good ol' Northbay motorsports eh? That's funny I've shopped there for years. I was born in Santa Rosa and sort of bounced between SR and Petaluma my whole life. How's Northbay treating ya? Is there a guy named Nick Thompson that workes there?
Back to top Go down
Tmeyer37

PostSubject: Northbay   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh yeah ive lived here my whole life. haha i might even know you. Northbay is awesome i love that job. Just started a month and a half ago. There is a guy named nick who works there but i dont think ints nick thompson. Where did you go to school out here?
Back to top Go down
Chris Denny
Admin
Admin
Chris Denny

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 11:24 am

Haha. I would laugh my ass off if I actually know you. I went to Petaluma Jr. High then Piner high and graduated in '02. But I kinda stuck around the Petaluma/Cotati area after high school. I know quite a few riders down there so I might have seen you around a few times.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Phoenix

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Hey Denny I went and found that article. That's some pretty messed up sh!t. I feel pretty confident that they are not BS'ing about it either. They are a pretty reputable source for info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRF450 fuel anomaly   CRF450 fuel anomaly I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CRF450 fuel anomaly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ENDO MotoSport Forums :: BRAND SPECIFIC FORUMS :: Honda-
Jump to: